OhpuppyLove's Temperament Testing
We are not Professional Dog Trainers. However, we have learned over the years Important Temperament Traits. We have researched many 'Temperament Testing" methods. Parts we found accurate but some parts not. So, we have made a list of what we feel is a safe and accurate assessment for our Puppies Temperaments.
Inaddition, Our Parents and their lineage is of Vital IMPORTANCE in our Breeding Program. We are strictly careful to not pass along any negative traits found in parents and their lines. This will come out in the litter.
Also, we offer our "Temperament Guarantee". So, more reason to take the Temperaments very seriously
in our Breeding Program.
Lastly, when we have gathered all our findings, we can better match up puppy with the right home! Even when many careful buyers live out of our state. Some puppies will be used for Therapy Service and Special Needs Homes.
Personality? Any bullying or being bullied? Prefer jumping into group activities or staying on the sidelines ? Is Puppy stealing the bones.
2. Approach To Us? Hide?, Jump in our arms?, how long before wondering over? .... wants to interact?....level of?...
3. Play With Us And Littermates. Take a puppy aside to play lets you know some of the energy level. Is he hyper, Easygoing or just wants to be petted? Out come toys. Does he show interest in them? Does he show you what he has, instigate tug of war, ... covet the object immediately? Is he even interested?....
4. Cradle-Belly Rub. Cradle your puppy in your arms. Does he relax, wiggle a bit and then relax, or kick like crazy ? Which action matches your expectations? Does puppy have a little of each responses?...
5. Touch- Paws, Ears, Tail-Tug. Reactions too. Tolerate?, sensitive to parts?....Squeeze Toe-ok or level of being sensitive?, Afraid to be touched. Loves to be touch.
6 Toy Share. Who gets toy first? Who share's? At the end of the day-who ends up with toy?
7. Affection Level. Cuddles?, avoids affection?, overly affectionate? Stable Affectionate Level? Wags tail when seeing you?...jumps up into your arms? Chooses snuggle over play?...
8. Sound. Tolerance. Startle sound. Using whistle, door closed, clapping, shaking keys, rattle - around puppy. Close and Far away. Gauge reaction: Attacking the sound, nonchalant glance, fear reaction noted by cowering or withdrawal. Response to your voice..runs away? nervous? barks at you?
9. Food Habits. Share out of same dish? any growling? Dominants the food? Plays with food?.....
10. New Environment. Adapts?..Stops Everything?...Time it takes to adjust?...How long to adjust?...
1. Observe. We're Watching You! :) We have survalance camera's over pens so we can watch whats going on while we're not there. Who's the ringleader? Who likes to hang around the food dish? Any true Alpha?....
11. Camera. Response to. Hide's?...Curious?....Ignores?....tolerates?.....considers it play?
12. Grooming. Bath time OK? Fights to get away?...confused?....relaxes ok?
Responses to: Brushing, combing, mail cutting, ear cleaning?
13. Correction. Our correction is by use of a empty can filled with pennies. we shake it and use our voice in a low tone with "No". Does puppy Submits easy? How long before puppy submits? Then length of submission? Or does puppy fight? Does puppy try and bite the can?
14. Energy Level. First and last to play? Require's more toys? Always Up for the task at hand-ready and waiting for action? Thinks before leaping? Stable? Low?
Our Temperament Test:
1. Observation in Litter.
2. Approach To Us
3 . Play With Us And Littermates
4. Cradle-Belly Rub
5. Touch Paws, Ears, Tail-Tug
6. Toy Share
7. Affection Level
9. Food habits
10. New Environment
13. Correction. Discipline Reactions.
14. Energy Level